I started including coconut milk and coconut oil in my diet a couple of months back. I started with Dabur Hommade brand of coconut milk but switched to homemade coconut milk (as and when I can), after I came to know of the dangerous additives and preservatives in it, that almost killed the goodness of coconut milk. I did try to search for organic coconut milk and coconut oil for some time but failed to get them at my local store, or if at all available the cost was unbelievably high. So, making it at home seemed the best option. It is as organic as it can get and works out way cheaper and has a longer shelf life.
Benefits of coconut milk and coconut oil
- Coconut milk unlike regular milk is super low in carbs and sugar and is a great source of dietary fat. Around 62% of the oils in coconut are made up of healthy fatty acids and 91% of the fat in coconut oil is healthy saturated fat.
- Easier to digest
- Not readily stored as fat
- Anti-microbial and anti-fungal properties
- The liver immediately converts it to usable energy instead of storing it as fat
- Aids in weight management and weight loss
- Gives a creamy texture to skin, reduces hair fall, strengthens bones and muscles
- Controls yeast infections and skin dryness
How to make coconut milk and coconut oil at home – It’s as easy as easy can get!
- Grate one coconut
- Blend it with warm water (as required). I suggest blending it in small portions so that you get a fine consistency.
- Run it through a fine muslin cloth or sieve. This will give thick ORGANIC COCONUT MILK. Never boil this milk. It is a perfect substitute for cream-derived from milk.
- Let the thick coconut milk cool at room temperature for 24 hours. You will find a thick butter/curd like layer on top. Remove this layer carefully and warm in a small pan. Store it in a container. Yay, you just got ORGANIC COCONUT OIL. You can use this as a natural lip balm, for cracked heels, dry skin, as a hair strengthener and is also absolutely edible.
- Add some more warm water to the strained coconut and blend again. Take out milk as before. Do this 3 times. This gives thinner coconut milk. This thinner coconut milk can be boiled or simmered for use in soups, curries, and vegetables.